This month, Boxycharm features the Pretty Vulgar Eyeshadow Palette. This palette retails for $35 at Sephora. This is the grayscale palette of my dreams! I love a good warm/neutral palette as much as the next girl, but I’m a bit sick of palette after palette featuring this color scheme.
Pretty Vulgar Cosmetics describes this palette as:
Nightingale, smokey eyeshadow palette is filled with 12 long-wearing and highly pigmented, smoky-hued shades. These matte, shimmer, and satin deep, sultry eyeshadows are created using soft textured pigments that provide our formula with a luxuriously smooth, creamy, and blendable application.
This palette comes in a pretty sturdy cardboard package that flips up in a vertical orientation revealing a mirror and 12 individual eyeshadow pans shaped like a birdcage. The packaging is super cute and really helps to tell a story.
The packaging has a very strong Alfred Hitchcock “The Birds” vibe to it!
The 12 shadows were either super pigmented and blendable or a patchy, skippy, unblendable mess. It really surprised me that the highlight shades were the hardest to work with especially the shade break free which I can see getting hard pan really quickly.
- Nocturnal-Light cream shade with a matte finish
- Pillow Fight- Light beige shade with a slightly shimmery-satin finish
- Break Free- Off-white shade with a greyish-beige undertone and a glittery/shimmery finish
- Darkside- Medium grey/beige shade with a slightly metallic finish
- Hide & Seek- Dark tan/beige shade with a matte finish
- Clutch-Warm medium brown color with a metallic/satin almost foiled finish
- Flip Out- Warm brown matte shade
- Eye Spy- Warm brown metallic shade
- Silver Spoon- Cool toned gunmetal shade with a metallic finish
- Swoop- Cool dark brown with a matte finish
- After Midnight- Cool dark brownish/grey with a matte finish
- All Nighter- Deep dark cool black/brown with a matte finish
I couldn’t wait to dive into this palette! Grey is one of my favorite colors and it surprised me that I don’t own that many grey eyeshadows. Although this palette is on the cooler side, I really was hoping to get at least some basic warm looks out of this. However, even the shades that swatched warm took on a much cooler tone once blended on the eye.
The matte and satin shades in this palette blended really well. There was a bunch of fallout with the matte shades but that’s never really a deal breaker for me unless they end up being hard to blend because of that which wasn’t the case here. The light shades at the top were pretty bad which is a shame because I really like the colors. The biggest dud was Break Free which did get a hardpan just from me swatching it which was really disappointing.
The Pretty Vulgar Nightingale palette has a wonderful color story that I am really going to enjoy this fall. Some of the shades are duds but the bulk of the shadows are pretty easy to work with. However, for $35 I think it’s pretty overpriced as a stand-alone item. If I didn’t receive this in my Boxycharm, it’s really unlikely that I would purchase this palette on my own.
Tell me, what are your favorite colors to wear in the fall?